Mayor's Teacher of the Year Award Selection Process
January to February: Nomination Submission
- Teacher nomination forms (click HERE for link) are to be filled out by members of the community. The deadline for nomination is Friday, February 24th 2017.
March: Selection of Semi-Finalists
- The Selection Committee will evaluate nominees and select semi-finalists for the following categories: PreK, Elementary, Middle, and High School.
April: Selection of Finalists
- The Selection Committee will conduct interviews to select finalists in each category.
May/June: Award Ceremony
- The Mayor and the Superintendent of the San Francisco Unified School District will jointly announce five winners, two from the Elementary School level (grades K-5) and one from each of the PreK (early education), Middle School (grades 6-8), and High School (grades 9-12) levels.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Who can nominate a teacher?
Teachers can be nominated by anyone! This includes community members, students, parents, and colleagues.
How can I nominate a teacher?
You may complete and submit an online nomination form by clicking the link here. There are Spanish, Chinese, and Tagalog versions available on the primary Teacher of the Year page to print out, complete, and mail to Mayor’s Office of Education:
City Hall, Room 200
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
Can I nominate more than one teacher?
Yes. There are many dynamic teachers in San Franciscos's schools and all deserve to be considered for the award.
Who is eligible to receive the award?
In order to be eligible, a teacher must have:
- Full time tenure at a San Francisco Unified School District site
- At least 5 years of teaching experience in the San Francisco Unified School District
Who are the members of the Selection Committee and what is their role?
The Selection Committee is made up of youth, community members, and representatives from the Mayor’s Office, the San Francisco Unified School District, United Educators of San Francisco, Education Fund, and community organizations. The committee is responsible for evaluating nominations and choosing finalists.
What do award recipients receive?
Awardees receive a monetary award, an engraved trophy from Tiffany & Co., and a gift basket full of prizes from our sponsors. Past prizes have included tickets to museums or attractions in San Francisco, gift cards from local companies, laptops and other electronics, and flight vouchers!
For any other questions, please contact Hydra Mendoza, the Mayor's senior advisor on education and family services, at (415) 554-6298 or email@example.com.