Established in 2011, Mayor Ed Lee began his “I Am the Future” Scholarship Awards for San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) graduating high school seniors and currently enrolled college students who pursue higher education. The award is primarily designed to support students who are first in their family to attend college and who excel not only academically, but also in extracurricular activities. The “I Am the Future” Mayor’s Scholarship Awards enables highly-motivated students from low income and under-resourced communities to overcome financial barriers to attend college and fulfill their greatest potential. The Mayor’s Office has teamed up with GLOW to identify scholarship applicants through organizations such as the Latin American Teachers Association, Maisin Scholar Award, Meritus Fund, California Masonic Foundation, San Francisco Alliance of Black School Educators, The Association of Chinese Teachers, Filipino Educators of San Francisco, and GLOW-affiliated school and nonprofit partners.
Congratulations to our 2015 "I Am the Future" Mayor's Scholarship Awardees!
Who is eligible?
- Must be a SFUSD high school senior graduating in Spring 2015 OR has attended a SFUSD high school and enrolled at an accredited college
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be the first in your family/first generation to attend college
- Participate in the Mayor’s San Francisco Youth Jobs+ Initiative or has work/internship experience
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to a college education
- Demonstrate leadership in your community
- Proof of acceptance from your chosen school
How can San Francisco students apply?
Please contact your after school program director to find out if you are eligible and if your program is associated with one of the participating scholarship partners listed below. You may apply by completing an online application by clicking the apply link above.
- Filipino Educators of San Francisco
- GLOW Foundation
- Latin American Teachers Association
- Maisin Scholar Award
- Masons of California
- Meritus College Fund
- San Francisco Alliance of Black School Educators
- The Association of Chinese Teachers
How much does the “I Am the Future” Mayor's Scholarship Awards provide?
The “I Am the Future” Scholarship is a one-year award that is used to cover the cost of tuition. The scholarship award varies between $250-$1,000, depending on the applicant’s financial gap. Awards will be credited directly to the student’s enrolled college or university.
If I am not eligible, where can I find other scholarship opportunities?
The “I Am the Future” Mayor's Scholarship Awards is one of many scholarship opportunities! Students can begin by asking their school or college counselors for available scholarship opportunities. Below are helpful links for college opportunities and resources:
If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the office of Hydra Mendoza, Mayor’s Education and Family Services Advisor, at (415) 554-6298 or email@example.com.