Mayor's "I Am the Future" Scholarship Awards
Since 2011, Mayor Ed Lee has supported the higher education aspirations of San Francisco youth with the “I Am the Future” Scholarship Awards for high school seniors and currently enrolled college students in San Francisco. The award is primarily designed to support students who are the first in their family to attend college and who both excel academically and demonstrate passion outside of the classroom. The Mayor's "I Am the Future" Scholarship Awards enable highly-motivated students from low-income and under-resourced communities to overcome financial barriers and attend college. The Mayor’s Office accepts applications online and teams up with the San Francisco Education Fund to identify scholarship applicants through our partner organizations.
Applications are closed for the 2017 "I Am the Future" Scholarship Award.
Please check back next year.
Potential scholarship winners must:
- Be from San Francisco
- Be a graduating SFUSD high school senior, former SFUSD student currently enrolled at an accredited college/university, or a student currently enrolled at a San Francisco accredited college/university
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be the first in their family to attend college
- Participate in the Mayor’s San Francisco Youth Jobs+ Initiative, Mayor's Youth Employment and Education Program (MYEEP), or have work/internship experience
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to attaining a college education
- Demonstrate leadership in their community
- Provide proof of acceptance from their chosen school
How can I apply?
Please contact your after-school program director to determine if you are eligible and if your program is associated with one of the participating scholarship partners listed below. You may then apply by completing the online application linked above.
- 826 Valencia
- Black Student Union, San Francisco State University
- California Masonic Foundation
- College Track
- Filipino Educators of San Francisco
- First Graduate
- Latin American Teachers Association
- Maisin Scholar Award
- Meritus College Fund
- Mission Economic Development Agency
- Mission Graduates
- San Francisco Achievers
- San Francisco Alliance of Black School Educators
- San Francisco Foster Youth Fund
- Project Rebound, San Francisco State University
- The Association of Chinese Teachers
How much do the Mayor's “I Am the Future” Scholarship Awards provide?
The “I Am the Future” Scholarship is a one year award that must be used to cover the cost of tuition. The financial award ranges between $250-$1,000 depending on the applicant’s financial need. Awards will be credited directly to the student’s enrolled college or university.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the office of Hydra Mendoza, Deputy Chief of Staff for Education and Equity, at (415) 554-6298 or email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.