"I Am the Future" Mayor's Scholarship Awards
Since 2011, Mayor Ed Lee has supported the higher education aspirations of San Francisco youth with the “I Am the Future” Scholarship Awards for high school seniors and currently enrolled college students in San Francisco. The award is primarily designed to support students who are the first in their family to attend college and who both excel academically and demonstrate passion outside of the classroom. The "I Am the Future" Mayor’s Scholarship Awards enable highly-motivated students from low-income and under-resourced communities to overcome financial barriers and attend college. The Mayor’s Office accepts applications online and teams up with the San Francisco Education Fund to identify scholarship applicants through our partner organizations.
The Office is now accepting applications for the 2017 I Am the Future Scholarship!
Application deadline: May 5th, 2017 at 5 p.m.
Potential scholarship winners must:
- Be from San Francisco
- Be a graduating high school senior or student currently enrolled at an accredited college/university
- Demonstrate financial need
- Be the first in his or her family to attend college
- Participate in the Mayor’s San Francisco Youth Jobs+ Initiative or have work/internship experience
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to attaining a college education
- Demonstrate leadership in his or her community
- Provide proof of acceptance from his or her chosen school
How can I apply?
Please contact your after-school program director to determine if you are eligible and if your program is associated with one of the participating scholarship partners listed below. You may then apply by completing the online application linked above.
- Filipino Educators of San Francisco
- Latin American Teachers Association
- Maisin Scholar Award
- Masons of California
- Meritus College Fund
- San Francisco Alliance of Black School Educators
- The Association of Chinese Teachers
- San Francisco Foster Youth Fund
How much do the “I Am the Future” Mayor's Scholarship Awards provide?
The “I Am the Future” Scholarship is a one year award that must be used to cover the cost of tuition. The financial award ranges between $250-$1,000 depending on the applicant’s financial need. Awards will be credited directly to the student’s enrolled college or university.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to call the office of Hydra Mendoza, Mayor’s Education and Family Services Advisor, at (415) 554-6298 or email the office at firstname.lastname@example.org.